By Rachelle Hruska
To contact the author of this post, email firstname.lastname@example.org
There's an undeniable camaraderie forming amongst the 99% and their supporters over a common joy of throwing the "one per-centers," (the upper 1% of Americans who control the majority of wealth), under the bus. And, it's left me wondering, "How do the original 'One Percenters' feel about sharing their title with a bunch of rich assholes?"
Protest groups across the country have no problem banding together in solidarity to protest outside of these new "1%'ers" houses. Nor do they feel remorse after tweeting witty slogans and slurs against these scumbags abundant and unfair wealth. This may fly in New York City, but, where I come from, the One-Percenters are the baddest of all the bad asses, and they are not the people you want to f*ck with....
I was taught in my DARE classes not to come in contact with anyone bearing a 1% tattoo on their body, and have found that many of my East Coast friends have never even heard of this group. Well, here are some:
Quick facts on the Original One-Percenters: (be careful who you f*ck with):
The clubs origins: Members wear this diamond shape patch over the hear of their leather jackets, the inspiration traced to 1947 when members of the "Pissed Off Bastards" (ha) and the "Boozefighters" motorcycle clubs showed up in Hollister, CA for an annual race which then got out of hand.
The Life Magazine story that followed provoked the American Motorcyclists Association to denounce the boozed-up bikers. It assured worried citizens that 99% of its members were law-abiding citizens, thereby marginalizing the remaining "1%" as outlaws. [Read More HERE]
- They are a member of an Outlaw Motorcycle Club that has actually killed someone. (Translated: earning the "One Percenter" tattoo ain't easy.)
- The most feared and respected riders roaming the blacktop, one percenters are a breed apart from all others. These individuals bow to no one, test the boundaries of all and give their devotion to few. [via SalemNews]
- Could include a member from: The Hells Angels, Outlaws, Banditos, Pagans, Warlocks, etc.
- How do you become a One-Percenter? "If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer. Only another one percenter can truly understand what belonging takes. [via]
- They are outlaws of culture. [via]
Some outlaw motorcycle clubs can be distinguished by a 1% patch worn on the colors. This is claimed to be a reference to a comment made by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in which they stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws. The comment, supposedly a response to the Hollister riot in 1947, is denied by the AMA—who claim to have no record of such a statement to the press, and that the story is a misquotation. As a result, some outlaw motorcycle clubs used it to unite or express themselves and are commonly referred to as "one percenters". According to the ATF they are also known as Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs or OMGs.
[One Percenter, the outlaw biker]
[Understanding the 1%]
[Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson]
[Motocycle Gangs, Missouri State]
[List of Bikers Clubs That Identify As "One Percenters"]
Now that you have all you have all the information you need on the Original "One Percenters," you may want to think twice before throwing out the insults this week.
This "One Percenter" is okay to f*ck with:
This one isn't:
You can egg this guy's Park Ave townhouse...
...but stay away from throwing anything at these dudes: